Saturday, January 09, 2010

Spiritual Discipline Log V

Reading: The Life You've Always Wanted by John Ortberg

An Unhurried Life (Chapter V)
Ortberg describes it as the "hurry sickness" disease.
I remember around college time, "multi-tasking" was talked about as a "great skill." I remember hearing people proudly proclaim that they were good at it and I remember chiding remarks that I was so BAD at it.

Ortberg speaks of poly-phasic activity (multi-tasking) not as a skill, but a behavior that should be avoided. The need to multi-task springs from a hurried life,a spiritually endangered life. For myself, the poor quality that results in my multi-tasking has been enough for me to avoid it. For this who are "good at it," I see this as a real temptation to avoid.

Not mentioned in the text, but I wonder how to deal with being on time and the sense that one needs to hurry sometimes to be on time. I guess the easy answer is simply to have margin in your schedule, go to bed early, and get up early. Other, more subtle thoughts?

Goal Statements
- I don't want to give my wife and family my leftovers at the end of a long day (sunset fatigue).
- I want to chew my food 15 times before I swallow it.
- I want to seek solitude.
- I want to not hurry, like Jesus.

Personal Note
Most often I find myself in a hurry when I am anxious... anxious over a new task or a tight deadline. This is when I need to most watch out for the temptation to hurry. I remember arriving a little late to the airport after visiting my dad. After checking in, we had time for a proper farewell, but I rushed to the security line where he is not allowed as a non-traveler. I missed the opportunity to lovingly say goodbye to my dad because I hurried. Sad.

1 Comments:

At Saturday, January 09, 2010, Blogger Pete Sung said...

Good post. An interesting question you bring up about being on time. There does appear to be a potential opposition between being on time (or getting stuff done) and being unhurried. But I think you're right about building more margin to allow for being on time (and getting things done).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home