Monday, January 04, 2010

Spiritual Discipline Log IV

Reading: The Life You've Always Wanted by John Ortberg

A Dee Dah Day - The Practice of Celebration (Chapter IV)
"Joy is a command. Joylessness is a serious sin," (page 63). I have never viewed joy as a command before. Previously, I viewed it more as the bonus of living a Christ-centered life. Ortberg is really challenging me to view that God makes joy the "serious business of heaven." I know of the mirthless religious people that so many unbelievers do not want to become, so having great joy is also essential for sharing my faith with others.
Another concept really took me by surprise. Ortberg says that we are most susceptible to fall into sin when our joy is weakened. That is a fresh outlook into my own patterns of sin and addiction. I can see how seeking a joy-filled life can indeed help prevent sin in my life.
Some additional interesting ideas from Ortberg:
1) We must learn the skill of joyfulness: feasting, dancing, celebrating, etc.
2) Joyfulness is the inverse of Hedonism (is this what John Piper calls "Christian Hedonism"?)

1 Comments:

At Thursday, January 07, 2010, Blogger Pete and VIv said...

Good points Jerry. The joy defeating sin concept was a really cool one. I hadn't really thought about that at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home